To give you an idea about these boys, consider the following:
Around the time that Justin moved into a toddler bed, there was much havoc in our home as Chris and I tried to do anything and everything to convince the boys that bed time was time to rest. Justin was freed from the crib, and they were literally climbing the dresser, jumping off the bed, trying to climb the closet, and throwing every single piece of clothing out of the dresser and hamper into the same pile. They would both cry when we put them back in their bed, and I just couldn't understand how two children could stay up that long. One night, Chris and I decided to just let them play and make noise until they passed out from exhaustion. This took 2.5 hours and when the room finally went quiet, I went back there and found that they had moved Justin's bed across the room so that it was now touching Chase's bed. They slept a lot better after that.
When Justin was potty training, my celebration at his success was met with lukewarm response. I would be jumping around in the bathroom yelling "yay Justin!" and Justin would run by me with glee to find Chase and give him the big news.

It's tough to put this into words, but they move in nearly complete harmony. Chase translates Justin's words. Justin worries where Chase is and doesn't seem to value any "special time" with me or Chris unless Chase is there. Chase calls Justin his best friend. Justin asks Chase to kiss his owies to make them better. Justin can't celebrate something without first telling Chase. (This morning, it was the news that we were in fact having pancakes. Justin jumped in the air, and then ran out of room yelling "Chase! Chase! We're eating pancakes!")
The boys are moving into a new era of brotherhood as Chase has started preschool 3 days a week. Justin started bringing comfort items to his daycare because Chase wasn't there. Chase actually seems okay, but I've noticed the reuniting is more difficult. They seem to fight a bit more. I know it's normal and I'm just hanging back watching as they navigate a big change. It's an honor to be part of their story.
However, if they ever do figure out how much power they have combined, I'm moving out.
No comments:
Post a Comment