Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Adelai

Every time I start to write an entry about our little girl, I can never finish it.  It's not that there is nothing to report.  She is growing, she is beautiful, she is delightful, she is amazing.  I guess I probably stop myself because I'm afraid that if I really wrote about this adorable little girl, it might sound like I love her the best. 

Mommy guilt is a tough one sometimes.  If I post something about the joy that is Adelai, you'll be able to scroll through this blog and see that I write all the time about crazy Justin and sensitive Chase, but you'll see me gush about this girl and I can barely contain myself.  I'll just keep going and going.  And going.  She is seriously wonderful.

I am realistic though.  I've been around a few blocks as a mother, so I know that realistically she just hasn't developed the ability to voice herself.  Therefore, she's untainted.  She has plenty of years to join the ranks of her brothers and I'll be ready.  Maybe.  Okay, it'll take me off guard.  But for now, here is a little information on this lovely girl.

Adelai (pronounced Ad-duh-lye...rhymes with pie...for the 99% of the world that can't pronounce her name) is a girl.  I know right?  Who knew the Garlands could have one of those?  Did you know they are different than boys?  I think God gave her to me because he saw my life and said "Dude.  This is hysterical, but it's time to give this girl a break."  Adelai is patient.  She can wait a good 5 to 10 minutes for whatever she needs.  It's as if she came into the home and spoke Chinese and the rest of us just don't get it.  Patient?  What the heck?  Is there something wrong with her?  Why isn't she crying? 

Not only is she a girl and patient (and yes, Chris, you can have both- I just don't), but she is mostly content with whatever.  The boys came out and were pretty much on the move.  Both sat up by their 6 month check up, both were crawling by 9 months (Justin was actually running at 9 months), and Chase was walking at 11 months.  I knew Justin was way early, but I thought that was pretty much normal.  Adelai, on the other hand can't be bothered with physical stuff.  She is 7 months old and I'm still trying to encourage her to sit up.  She falls often, and it's a bother to try and get her interested in anything besides people.  She loves to watch her brothers and she's pretty happy with constant eye contact. 

But if you can't do that, it's okay.  Just whenever you return, she'll be delighted. 
It's almost creepy. 

What else can I say?  She kinda likes food, she loves to cuddle and she has an enormous rear end.  For the record, I know that is thoroughly inappropriate, but seriously if you know anything about our boys, you know that having junk in the truck region is unheard of.  I wonder if she is really my kid?

She loves to sleep and she loves her feet.  I think that covers it. 

She's a bright warm light in my life, and I'm just overjoyed that I get to be her mommy.  I hope I do her justice.  I'm a little worried that we're going to struggle, mostly because she seems to be my exact opposite and I think maybe I should be the student in this situation...but nevertheless, being on the other side of a mother-daughter relationship feels full circle.  Before she was born, I didn't really think I was missing anything.  I think it was about 4 seconds after her birth that I realized exactly what I had gained.  It's safe to say that I'm a huge fan of Miss Adelai Makena. 




1 comment:

  1. Oh cuteness! What a sweet girl. After two girls, my little boy is like a breath of fresh air. Thank goodness for third children that bring us all the wonderful things we didn't know we were missing.

    ReplyDelete