Sunday, January 2, 2011

The story of Us

You may be surprised at how Chris and I met. 

In retrospect, I am.  It's an odd story, really.  We celebrate 7 years of marriage in a week and if we are counting blessings, well then this would be the first one; the foundation of all the blessings I've received. 
In order to tell this story, I have to embarrass myself beyond recognition.  I need only to return to this memory in order to humble myself.  But here goes. 

Chris and I met when I was a junior and he was a sophomore in college at the University of Puget Sound.  He played football and I played volleyball.  It was the fall season and both of us found ourselves at the Hawaiian party on campus.  I had just come home from Eastern Washington and I was exhausted.  But I went to the party and ended up sitting on the porch.  A few minutes in, a male friend of mine put his arm around me.  His big, muscle-filled, slimy arm. 

He put his arms around a lot of girls.  I wasn't ever hoping to be one of them.

I was not a fan of this.  But he was my friend, and I didn't want to hurt his feelings.  So I sat there and quietly panicked.  I decided to speak to whomever was in front of me and potentially find my way out of this situation by distraction. (This is just about 1000 ft outside of my comfort zone, FYI.)  I looked up, and there leaning against the wall was a boy.  He had a hat on, and he couldn't have been more uninterested in what I had to say.  It took a few minutes for him to actually interact with me, but he told me his full name (Chris Garland) and I found out that he was the son of the coach that I worked for as part of the work study program.  I don't remember anything he said.  My heart was pounding.  What I do remember is that he was nice, and he didn't try anything shady, even when I eventually was freed of the arm of my friend.  I went home early, but found myself seeking Chris out to say good-bye.  He barely looked up.

Two weeks later, my good friend complained that there weren't any nice boys around.  I remembered Chris and replied that I had met one (literally just one).  It was in this moment that I impulsively chose to call security on campus and find his number.  Before I could change my mind, I called and left a message with his roommate...something to the tune of "Hi.  Can you tell Chris to call me?  I'm Jess Davis and we met at the Hawaiian party a few weeks ago.  He won't remember me, but have him call me."  He didn't call.

Can you believe that?  Also, another kicker to this story is that I couldn't remember what he looked like.  He wore a hat, and essentially I walked around campus wondering if I was standing next to somebody that I was looking for.  Very bizarre. 

Then September 11, 2001 came.  My volleyball team was scheduled to travel to Missouri, but travel was canceled.  The next day, as I was running through my house to get ready for practice, my roommate briefly mentioned that "some guy called for you." She couldn't remember his name.  She didn't get his number.  After some badgering, she agreed that "it could have been Chris Garland".  I went to practice, got sweaty and earned myself a very unattractive sweaty hairdo, and went to dinner at the campus cafeteria.  I had finished my meal when I recognized Chris walking by.  I couldn't help myself.  I leaped out of my chair and followed him out into the parking lot.

I heard myself yell "Chris!" and ran to catch him.  He stopped, turned around and I caught up to him.  Then I was speechless.  I just stared at him.  (Seriously.) I don't do this...probably for this exact reason.  Shyness steals my words and I end up looking ridiculous.  Luckily, he filled the awkwardness of the situation.

Chris: "I called you.  You're Jess, right?"
Jess: "Yes.  Right.  That's me. (4 hour pause..okay, more like 15 seconds)  Ummm...I was wondering if you would like to hang out or something someday.  Or whatever.  Or not.  Or I just...you know."
Chris (with a breezy tone, as if  he doesn't recognize my awkwardness): "Sure.  How about tonight?"

And literally, we've been together ever since. 

Literally.  More than a few times, I thought to myself early on that I could not end up with this boy because this story could not live on for eternity.  But now, I have three lovely children and a life built on impulsive action and finding my soul mate amongst craziness. 

Don't judge.  Nobody likes a judger. 










I'm a lucky girl.

4 comments:

  1. Happy early anniversary! #7
    I met Aaron when I was a junior in college, too! But he was a baby freshman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! Don't fear the 7 year itch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww. I've never heard that story before. Its a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 7th Anniversary Chris and Jessica! Very sweet story about how you met.

    And put that together with the Sea Hawks victory yesterday and this should be a great week!

    ReplyDelete