Don't get me wrong....I most certainly would have married Chris. However, a moment in Hawaii reiterated this fact for me. He is exactly the boy that I married. It's been nearly 10 years since I met him, and he's the exact same guy.
In Hawaii, after about 4 days of relaxation, we finally arrived at the moment where you start to just talk to each other about whatever comes to mind. We were sitting in this great Cheeseburger restaurant (Cheeseburger in Paradise), a musician was playing and we were both enjoying the atmosphere. We were seated next to an open air balcony with gorgeous Hawaiian plants surrounding us. This is probably, like our 5th date ever since having Chase. (We need to work on that.)
So we are both enjoying the music, and I break the comfortable silence by saying "Okay. What would be your wildest dream come true if there were no limitations at all? You could have anything or accomplish anything you want. What would it be?"
I absolutely kid you not. I exaggerate
"I would get a van, park it on the beach and do odd jobs to make enough money to buy beer at the local bar. And then maybe I would bet on a horse or something so I could live large for like, four days."
You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding. Me.
What does a wife say to this? The thoughts completely leave my head. I'm speechless. I've had three children with a man who wants to live in a van down by the river. Chris Farley style. The musician is playing Jack Johnson and our food arrives.
So I eventually respond: "Really? With absolutely no limitations to your dream, you would be a homeless person living in a van? Like that Chris Farley skit where the dude lives in a van, DOWN BY THE RIVER?"
Chris nods, watches the musician and sort of bobs his head to the music. He pops a fry into his mouth and nods. "No, not by the river. By the ocean."
Oh. Duh. Cause that's 100% different.
A few minutes pass, and I finish my drink. The air is warm, the air smells sweet. the food tastes amazing. I'm loving the time, but wondering how this "man of my dreams" is dreaming of homelessness. I'm remembering that he's essentially describing exactly how he lived in college, where he would receive money, "live large, for like four days" and then return to essentially homeless status until the next money arrived. How has 10 years passed and he is the same boy?
His eyes return to me and he says "Your turn. What's your dream? No limitations."
Deep breath. Do you know how awkward it is to share a farteched dream with this man who dreams of periods of starvation until he "hits it big on a horse"?
Here goes nothing. "I would write a book and it would be wildly famous."
Awkward silence.
Then Chris says "Oh. So...like....you would contribute to society....and do stuff."
Long pause....and then I said "riiiiight."
Chris looks pensive for a moment. He never looks pensive. I wonder to myself....maybe he'll replace his dream of homelessness with hopes for bringing clean water to Africa. The moment is heavy with anticipation. He's going to whip a dream out that's amazing. I can't wait for him to speak again.
"Well I thought it was just our dream if we didn't have any kids. I guess I would choose to have like, a ghetto apartment or something instead of the van."
At least he's consistent.
Dying. laughing. Boys will be boys. And you are right- we cannot change that.
ReplyDeleteYou are too funny Jessica! I've always found Aaron to be very trainable actually, but maybe he just had to be in order to survive living with me haha. Chris will learn the hamper. Someday haha.
ReplyDeleteI loved the picture of God being the potter at bible study. He's really the one we want changing us huh?
I'll try asking Aaron this question lol. Will report back to you Sunday but I think I already know the answer.
Gaby
So what is the problem with his dream?
ReplyDeleteAnonymous, you are a man, aren't you. :-)
ReplyDeleteBuy him the book "Wild at Heart" and see what happens.
ReplyDelete-Keith
I have found that we do change over the years. Chris is an easy going man with a beautiful family. Jessica you could write a great book. It is good to date each other. Glad you find fun in one another.
ReplyDeleteWrite a book. Be famous. Make money. Buy Chris a van that he can park by the ocean and drink his beer when the need hits him. Life will be perfect for you both.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great retirement plan :) ......a van on the beach! In the meantime, work as a team and figure out how best to support your family. I have faith in you both and witness your faith in God. I see you making decisions together with purpose. Nice growth! Love you both.
ReplyDeleteMom