She sat in her hospital crib, suddenly laughing hysterically at a simple toy. It was clear that she was feeling the effects of the medication she had received as she swayed from side to side. She tipped over into the pillow, flashed her dimples at me and giggled. Her smile takes up so much of her face, and I noted the curls in her hair as she grabbed my attention like she so easily does. I reached to pick her up, but she nonchalantly said "no" and went about her play. I noticed that she was beginning to drool from her lip, so I quickly attended to her as she folded her tiny body over to press her face into the mirror on the toy. She was delighted by her reflection. I was delighted by her delight, even though her ever increasing independence in the world was, at times, tough to accept....or should I say, tough to celebrate. She owns me.
I tried to appear carefree for her for a few minutes until I realized that she wasn't looking at me anymore. Then I stopped. No sense in pretending that my heart wasn't burning in my chest as the doctors ran through the simple, routine procedure. The anesthesiologist told me how he would care for her and was completely taken by her grin. "Are you trying to win me over, young lady? You had me at your first giggle." She brightened as if she somehow understood and then sunk into her pillow further with pure glee. Her laughter filled the tense room. Not a care in the world.
As they were preparing to wheel her away, I overheard a surgeon giving a family a completely different scenario. "This is a risky situation" and "we'll keep you updated on the progress if we make any...." As they wheeled my girl away, my eyes filled with tears as I was full of gratitude yet couldn't stand the image of her happy little carefree body being whisked away from her mommy. She never looked for me. She was growing up. It's the kind of security that comes from being well-loved...knowing that your mommy will always be back...always come for you.
I will always come for her.
The 30 minute wait turned into two hours. In retrospect, I think God just shielded me from this knowledge, because I didn't really notice. The doctor came and explained that it had not gone well. She was missing a tear duct in her eye that was responsible for 70% of the drainage in the eye. He explained that she might have to have some kind of extensive surgery, but I didn't listen to anything he said. I pictured her hair, recently having exploded into curls. Her inquisitive eyes. Her fingers...her toes. He gave me a reassuring smile, but I give that smile to patients all the time after I've given them a pep-talk. I know it doesn't mean much. He left and nearly immediately, they called for the mother of Adelai Garland. I rose from my chair trying to hide the anxious desire to push down grandmas and shove people aside to get to her.
I entered through double doors and there were children lying in beds, along the walls. Some were sleeping, some were moaning as they woke up, some were sobbing. I saw Adelai being held by a nurse. Her eyes were visibly swollen and, under her left eye there was a dark purple bruise forming. Blood sat on her lip, flowing slowly out of her nose. Her eyes were closed, but she was whimpering and sort of flailing around, yet without much effort. I said her name and she sort of lunged in the direction of my voice with a sob. I caught her, clumsy in my attempt to scoop her with all her wires. She fell into my body with a sigh and was unconscious again. Her breathing became calm and she was home. I am still her home.
Her head still fits perfectly under my chin. Her body bends perfectly into mine, as if God created me specifically for what her body would need on this day. We blended like puzzle pieces. As I sat and rocked her, I remembered what it was like to be pregnant with her and then to hold her newborn body as she lay like this....so trusting and so peaceful. I hugged her tightly and took deep breathes for her, helping her to regulate her breathing further. Her oxygen saturation got back up to 100% and they were pleased. She woke up a little further, lifted her face suddenly off of my shoulder and stared at me, about 5 inches from my face, as if confirming that it was really me. She was reassured and dove into me again. Back to sleep. It is really me.
Over time, she woke up further and suddenly, a switch was flipped. She became angry and irritable. She threw stuff, shoved me away as if I had made her hurt and sobbed inconsolably. She screamed, ripping off her band-aid that eventually took the place of the IV and bled all over her favorite blanket. A patience lives in me that is not my own, because I simply sat for awhile as she tried to hit me and waited for her. Then, she reached for me again and I delighted in her return.
She has a black eye now. The world has dealt her a blow. She has spent the day content with staying on my lap for hours at a time. When she is in pain, she suddenly turns on me, but she finds her way back to my lap. I am her safety. She will forget that tomorrow, but it won't change the fact that I am her home.
And when she forgets it, and then remembers it, I'll smile knowingly, with a heart bursting with love. First, because I'm a mommy and I live for her. But second, because I do that to my Abba Father all the time too. When I get a black eye and remember to run back to my Home, His heart absolutely bursts with joy.
I should probably remember that. You should too.

No comments:
Post a Comment