Friday, February 17, 2012

Upright Stones

I'm taking on a task in this post that, frankly I just don't feel qualified to do. Yet, I can't think of anything else except this post, so I've decided to put it out there and then clean the kitchen. I think that's how God would want it.

In the Bible, when something amazing happened with God, the Israelites would mark the geographical spot with a massebah (pronounced mat-zey-VAH), or standing stone. The plural term for this is masseboth (pronounced mat-zey-VOTE). There is still evidence of these standing stones in Israel.



With my seriously limited theological background, it seems that they erected these upright stones in an effort to point passers-by to the dynamic power and awesomeness of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Travelers who wandered by would (according to the custom of the pagan world) recognize that something significant had occurred, and ask "What happened here?" Then, the people who knew the story would give the testimony of the power of their God. The power of YHWH.



I was raised a scientist. I have spent my due time learning about the scientific method of the Western culture and "just the facts" has been ingrained into my head deeply. It got me far until the day I believed Justin was dying right in front of my eyes. Then I threw that all away and I have been on a mission into the unseen for nearly two years. And I am in love.

But.

I would be a liar if I said that I wouldn't seriously appreciate some proof.

The Oasis family had the deep and wonderful pleasure of knowing Graham Thudium, a 7 year old boy who died yesterday from a rare form of brain cancer. He was a shining light of joy, hope and unshakable faith in the midst of a scenario that, by all accounts could have robbed him of all three. He saw things simply. Life looked simple when we watched him read Heaven is for Real. And as I watched him read and saw the joy of his heart as he looked forward to playing Nintendo in heaven, I saw the true meaning of Jesus' words when he said "Permit the children to come to Me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all." (Luke 18:15 NASB)

Graham was a perfect example of a bar set high. He anxiously awaited the angels of heaven to arrive so that he would be healed of cancer.

And now he's healed. And running, and jumping, and hearing, and looking at Jesus. He's looking at Jesus. Face to face. Graham alone would be worthy of a massebah. He touched so many and, with his passion to see his friends in heaven, he became a tender hearted and unstoppable evangelist.

But there belongs more upright stones in this story. Chris, Louise and Sara are living masseboth. They are upright stones, walking amongst us as powerful testimonies of the power of YHWH. They are still standing. The strength of this family is....a fact.

On Christmas Eve, while driving to Washington in the dark, I sent a message to Louise telling her that I was praying for her every day. I imagined myself in her shoes, wearing a smile and breaking in half on the inside. She responded and said that her home was full of peace and they were loving their time together. I read joy in her words. In the darkness on the highway, I read the message aloud to Chris and he was quiet. I gave him a couple of minutes and then he said "I've never believed in God as much as I do in this very moment. If they have peace today, what more proof of the power of God do we need?"

YHWH has the ability to root us in a strength that makes no sense. He has the ability to build our house on the rock, when we would have built it on sand. And, in the midst of unspeakable grief, He uses His upright stones to show us that there are no limits to His miracles....His mercy.....His grace....His compassion.

Thank you Chris, Louise and Sara. For sharing Graham, and for being a testimony. You are masseboth. We love you.




P.S. See the video of "Billy" Graham Thudium reading Heaven is for Real here.

2 comments:

  1. My sincere condolences. I saw Graham in the Christmas play with Chase and Justin. He was happy and joyful. My heart goes out to his family, including Oasis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I'm Graham's Aunt Julia (Chris's sister)
    I couldn't agree with you more about what amazing people they all are. I'm so darn proud of them and the way they have handled Graham's journey through cancer. I have some very special memories of a sleepover with Graham during our Thanksgiving vacation last year. He was cuddled with me in the bed, saying his prayers...
    Powerful stuff that faith of his...

    ReplyDelete